We are currently seeking a Controls Engineer for a large systems integration and I&C Construction firm with operations in Midland, TX.
The Controls Engineer will design control systems to accomplish customer requirements which will automate manufacturing processes. The Automation Specialist II is responsible for the design of control system details, instrumentation configuration, preparation for implementation, implementation, testing, documentation, and training.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Working on multiple projects simultaneously while also having advanced knowledge of a diverse range of products and systems.
- Collaborating with project managers and estimators to assess potential projects and submit proposals.
- Reading and interpreting diagrams and documentation and communicates with customers to understand objectives and preferences.
- Designs, develops, and documents the communication strategy between control system elements.
- Working with the customer and other stakeholders to design detailed control system functionality.
- Documents the functionality with a controls narrative and/or a cause and effect.
- Programming controllers to connect from less than 20 points up to thousands of points may be required.
- Designs and develops the human machine interface (HMI).
- Develops hardware and software test plans and writes simulation logic for the testing of the PLC and HMI system.
- Communicates and coordinates with management of the installation team to ensure that technicians are executing per documented processes.
- At the client site, the incumbent may supervise the installation of the systems.
- Tests the installed system to observe system functionality and ensure that the programs function as designed.
- Troubleshoots problems that occur during startup that are caused by incorrect drawings, changes in customer desires, inaccurate instrumentation specifications, or other technical issues. Diagnoses and resolves software and hardware interface issues.
- Trains customers on use and operation of client-specific system integration software.
- Interfaces with manufacturers and vendors of software and application products, especially with regard to problem diagnosis and resolution.
- Works with others to develop alternative system and software designs.
- May respond to service calls to troubleshoot, diagnose, and repair programming and system failures.
- Other duties may be assigned.