We have an opening for an Instrument Engineer to work in the the Houston, TX area.
Our Client prides itself in providing unparalleled, comprehensive support to their customers, and exceeding expectations during every phase of their projects. Their experienced team creates solutions of all shapes and sizes for industries of all shapes and sizes, by combining all the capability of a global EPC and controls and automation company, with the responsiveness of a small, local firm.
The Instrument Engineer provides technical support to projects from FEL through commissioning, startup and turnover to operations. This position requires a proven problem solver and equipment owner serving as a technical resource for the instrument and controls infrastructure support to projects.
- Participating and promoting all aspects of refinery safety programs.
- Visibly demonstrating commitment to the workplace safety and health of employees and contractors through personal engagement and sound decisions.
- Reviewing and/or developing Instrument design packages for capital projects.
- Sound knowledge in the specification and application of field measurement sensors, transmitters, analyzers, and control valves.
- Consistently designing and implementing solutions on projects for continuous improvement to drive reliability and asset improvements.
- Supporting documentation systems and processes that maintain accurate I&C equipment information and drawings.
- Performing Criticality Analysis for instrumentation and maintaining the criticality ranking for this equipment.
- Identifying equipment problems and recommending appropriate measures to control, manage and correct issues.
- Recommending material upgrades or changes as the situation and conditions warrant.
- Participating in Process Hazards Analyses for projects.
- Designing, recommending, and implementing new equipment solutions where justified.
- Serve as a technical resource to properly identify new and existing equipment specifications and proper operating parameters/ranges for I&C equipment.
- Utilizing Life Cycle Cost and Decision & Risk Analysis processes to assist with repair vs. replace decisions and infrastructure project needs.
- Developing capital and expense budget requirements related to I&C system upgrades, PM/PdM programs, repairs, expansions, etc.
- Evaluating and recommending improvements to spares inventory and storage solutions.
- Participating in knowledge share in Automation Team roundtables.
- Effectively communicating and engaging with other functional groups at all levels from craft persons and operators to refinery leadership.
- Initiating and evaluating management of changes (MOC).
- Experience leading I&C projects as well as specifying and applying instruments, analyzers & control valves.
- A proven self-starter, able to communicate effectively, both verbal and written, with a wide range of personnel, has the ability to interact and work in a team environment, and is well organized
- 10 or more years of experience within an industrial environment (refinery or petrochemical)
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical, Chemical or Mechanical Engineering from an accredited program.
- Working knowledge of IEC, ISA, and API codes and standards.
- Intermediate proficiency with Microsoft Office products, including: Word, Excel, Access
- Ability to work extended shifts.
- Experience with DCS, SIS & PLC systems