We have an opening for a Buyer to work in the Woods Cross, UT area. The Buyer conducts routine and non-routine procurement/ buying assignments under limited supervision within a framework of acceptable controls which satisfy governmental and company accounting requirements. Analyzes data and assists in the development of procurement agreements. May direct or lead the work of others from time-to-time.
Our Client is a Fortune 500 company and an independent petroleum refiner that focuses primarily on producing high-value light products such as gasoline, diesel fuel, jet fuel, specialty lubricant products and specialty and modified asphalt. They own and operate several refineries located primarily in Southwestern United States and market their products to this area, as well as the Rocky Mountains, extending into the Pacific Northwest and other neighboring Plains states.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES: (functions considered essential as defined by ADA)
- Processes requisitions into procurement orders for routine and non-routine, repetitive and some non-repetitive, engineered/rotating equipment, fabricated items, one-time repairs, chemicals, catalysts, etc.
- Creates and transmits PO's with a value usually under $100,000, occasionally higher
- Identifies and selects suppliers based on various criteria, including price, availability, and quality; considers requisitioner input, applies experience with prior purchases, current agreements and situations, may seek additional input from others
- Coordinates transportation and logistics requirements by selecting appropriate transportation method for items purchased; may coordinate with a third party logistics provider; may participate in transportation provider audits
- Coordinates with requisitioners and suppliers to obtain and provide feedback regarding technical aspects of purchases, delivery requirements, order status, and expected delivery dates or to resolve supply issues.
- Obtains ongoing material requirements and related data to analyze and support procurement agreement development and/or supplier evaluations.
- Maintains a positive business relationship with suppliers
- Applies terms and conditions (T&C's), usually standard T&C's or per existing procurement agreement, may initiate procurement agreements (MSA, MPA, etc.) or one time negotiated T & C.
- Develops and monitors purchase agreements by gathering and analyzing data and/or assisting with preparing and processing bid invitations.
- Participates in and may prepares for supplier qualification and/or performance audits
- Monitors PO's and suppliers for open PO's, contacts suppliers, and takes action to assure materials are delivered when needed; monitors supplier performance.
- Assists in development of performance measures and may update said measures. May participate in vendor audits. Applies appropriate tax handling of PO's by identifying and properly coding tax exempt items and preparing tax exemption certificates. May train other buyers
- Identifies and qualifies new sources of supply and processes DIG requests.
- Discusses proposed suppliers with requisitioners and investigates to determine actual need. Participates in and may prepare for and/or lead audits of proposed suppliers Solicits bids to obtain or verify pricing; occasionally per corporate guide $50,000; occasionally for procurement agreements and/or projects
- Identifies bidders and prepares bids considering requisitioner input and applying experience with prior purchases and situations. May seek additional input from others
- Prepares RFQ for purchases $50,000; occasionally prepares or assists in preparation of RFI, RFP, or RFQ for procurement agreements and/or projects
- Reconciles invoices for payment by working with AP.
- Seeks understanding and works with AP to prevent future discrepancies.
- Recommends process changes to department manager
- Ensures procurement procedures and guidelines are followed by becoming thoroughly familiar with them and identifying issues as they arise.
- Recommends and may develop changes; participates in their implementation.
- May train plant personnel and others
- Prepares procurement requisitions for department supplies and occasionally for plant personnel to facilitate obtaining expedited materials or emergency repairs to standard refinery equipment
- May perform some or all Inventory/ Materials Specialist duties, including: May process new warehouse stock requests and initiate procurement for routine items; may review and process automatic stock reorders. May manage and/or maintain inventory levels and quantities, including all aspects of physical inventories
- Special assignments or tasks assigned to the employee by their manager, as determined from time to time in their sole and complete discretion
Refinery experience and/or experience in procurement and inventory control are preferred.
A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree, in a technical or business related field. Each year of experience over two in procurement or inventory control may be substituted for one year of education (six years total experience required w/o education).
- Demonstrated proficiency in existing procurement and/or inventory control systems.
- Basic computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite , ability to organize and analyze data; ability to lead teams; advanced reading and writing skills; ability to perform intermediate mathematical calculations; basic negotiating skills, ability to work independently.
- May be required to attend daily and weekly safety meetings, lead safety meeting talks as scheduled and complete legally required ePrism safety training modules depending on assignment.
- Working knowledge of procurement and/or inventory control computer systems; basic refinery knowledge; working knowledge of the procurement/ contracting business and ability to apply this knowledge in a global business environment.
- The ability to effective communicate with others, both written and verbal communication skills; detail oriented.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages and volumes.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry on instruction furnished in written, oral or diagram form and solve problems.